Monday, July 11, 2005

the ice cream man cometh (steve, willy, and kevin too)

i had been hearing his rendition of the entertainer outside for a few weeks now, but it wasn't until i saw his tricked out special school bus painted blue that i understood. furthermore, i drove by what i guess was his house the other night cause i spotted the 300 pound hairy backed (how did i know he was hairy?) mexican man clearing out his ice cream inventory shirtless (that's how i knew) and maybe doing a little dance.

my next favorite character is fifty cent steve. i call him that cause he looks like a steve and keeps asking me in my front yard for change to make a phone call. he's a waifish hippy type, looking a month unwashed so i guess he's calling his stock broker.

i chose willy's barber shop from the yellowpages yet the description didn't tell me that i'd be the only white kid amongst three 60 year old men chatting in spanish over the piped in selena dance numbers. turns out willy himself is is an seventy year old, 8 times married, world war II dischargee, whose youngest son is 17. after showing me miguel's prom picture, willy proceeded to give advice to my generation including what to do with those wild girls who wear the short skirts and the thongs.

maybe not my favorite but definitely the most talkative is kiosk kevin. he called out to me from his european frangrance booth at the mall only to ask what i was shopping for. that led to discussing my office's dress code, to discussing architecture in general, to comparing the interior of nearby abercrombie and fitch to that of historic russian cathedrals. no kidding. in the end, i think i convinced him to be an architect. i like san antonio.

No comments: